Sunday, August 2, 2009

And Now to Start

Even my colleagues were wondering what this was all about. The natural inclination was to assume it is the blog about the project. Well it could be but it is not. This is a blog for all of the women of color who are treated as if we are invisible. It is time for us to be seen.

One of the really tough things about growing up in America in the 50's and 60's was the lack of women of color in the media. For me I can be specific. It was the total lack of seeing black women on television, in magazines, in print ads, anywhere. It was the promotion of a standard of beauty that someone of my complexion could not even hope to attain. It was hurtful; it was demoralizing; it was intentional.

As I have matured I have come to see those days for what they were. We were a nation clinging desperately to a past that made some people feel superior simply because they were white. It felt good to them and the way to make sure it continued was to limit and diminish me as a black woman.

Eleanor Roosevelt said that "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent". That is true but what she missed was the extreme pain caused when you do not feel inferior but are treated as if you are none the less. What really is true is that no one has the capacity to diminish you but you. You can think of me as less; you can treat me as if I am less. But, until I agree to diminish myself, in order to allow you to feel more comfortable, I am not less.

Last year there was great hoopla and consternation about the 'Black Issue' of Vogue Italia. There were even blog comments about how unfair and racist it was to devote an issue to black women and models. It is funny how you never heard those same voices when you had to venture over 150 pages into the magazines before you saw a black woman. Where were those voices when American Vogue had a cover with and LeBron James.

The caption was at the top of their game. Sereena & Venus Williams are at the top of their game. Is Alek Wek not at the top of her game? Is Chanel Iman not at the top of her game? There is never a problem pairing black men with white women. How often do you see that pairing reversed?

Despite all of the gains, there is still an unspoken theory that the standard of beauty is tall, blond, white and thin when it comes to women in the United States. Imagine being a little girl who will never be any of those things and how hard it would be to muster that positive self esteem.

I fortunately lived in a family situation where I was supported, loved and admired. It was the only thing that helped. I faced hostile teachers, hostile peers, hostile employers. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I also faced a pool of black men who had bought into the blond is better hype hook, line and sinker.

Now at 50 something I am determined to make sure that women of color know how truly beautiful we are and that it is not about being 'exotic'. It is about being beautiful without being white. I salute Vogue Italia and its efforts to bring to the forefront the racism in the world of fashion. I challenge editors of fashion magazines to be more responsible and stop asking questions about who is responsible for the dearth of black models in its magazines. They are the editors so ultimately, they are responsible.

And to those few black editors who do sit in the meetings where the content of the magazine is decided, shame on you if you are afraid to speak up. I fault you more than anyone. Beauty comes in all shades from the palest almost translucent skin to the darkest almost blue black skin. Let's define beauty in a way that is attainable by all women. It would be a much happier world and there would be so many more options open for people.

I want to do this blog to invite comment. As we move forward with our fashion project, I want to be inclusive. I want to touch on the issues that are important to all women, including women of color. I need to hear for those who are more mature than I and those who are less mature. I want to know how the portrayal of women of color in the media affects how you see yourself. If it is negative, I want to counteract those negative feelings and stereotype.

So let's not be invisible anymore. Let's get out there and be seen and heard. It is time and we are ready.

On the next post I will chronicle the emergence of black women in the media. I would love to have readers comment on the emergence of Asian women, Latina women, middle eastern women, etc. We all deserve to be visible. And by the way, if men want to comment, be my guest. We'd love to hear from you also. This has the potential to be a truly positive and healing dialogue, world-wide.

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment